Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sound & Groove, Episode 44: Mind Over Matter- Music Inside Your Head, Part 2



The reclusive, forgotten but eventually reclaimed (Sixto) Rodriguez, a one-of-a-kind singer-songwriter out of Detroit who told it like he saw it, wrote incredibly perceptive about social issues in a way that came across as neither condescending, preachy or insincere. Yet his audience was not found in his own backyard but rather overseas, particularly in countries facing strife and social hardship such as South Africa where his legend grew after his career went silent and his songs became heavily identified with by those fighting with the anti-apartheid movement. That fanatic following led to his late 90s re-emergence from a near 2 decade sabbatical from the music industry to raise a family, showing up in South Africa to prove he was for real and had not perished. This inspiring redemption song was chronicled in 2011's Oscar-winning documentary Searching for Sugarman which led to an international discovery of his haunting, unique music.


Ah yes songs that explore the deep recesses of the mind from thoughts to dreams and imagination. It's all those songs where conjuring up images, stories and facts from one's central nervous system play a huge role in the lyrical content or song direction. Yeah, I was really putting on my thinking cap for this theme. After my silence in January I decided to make one episode per month the norm from now on however I am generously donating one last two-parter in order to assuage your fears that I am a cheapskate! Call it a raincheck or make-up date episode that follows this part 2. 


Hope you enjoy and don't MIND coming back for more hahaha... ok I'll stop now.hear a musical journey through yet another themed podcast here in 2013 with your host, Evan Dowbiggin. And if you're new to this podcast: Every month there will be a theme that the selection of music is centered around. It will be jam packed with my analysis, synopses, breakdowns, anecdotes and other witticisms you might enjoy. And not to worry, each month will contain a different theme than the last. All killer, no filler... other than when I talk and introduce the tunes and recap the ones before it. But aside from that? 100% juicy meat!


Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Edowrimple
Listing:

Track Listing:
1. In Your Mind- Bryan Ferry (1977)
2. Thoughts & Words- The Byrds (1967))
3. Brainwashed- George Harrison (2002)
4. Hot Head- Capt. Beefheart & the Magic Band (1980)
5. Welcome to My Nightmare- Alice Cooper (1975)
6. Psychotic Reaction- Count Five (1965)
7. Series of Dreams- Bob Dylan (1989)
8. I Think of You- Rodriguez (1971)

Info of note:
Intro- "Black Man" by Stevie Wonder (1976))
Outro- "Golden Lady" by Stevie Wonder (1973)
All comments, questions and feedback are greatly welcomed and appreciated! I encourage participation. Even though I drain an hour off your life by listening to the podcast then checking through the links, at least you don't have to fork over your money to me... though if you feel like, you know... But in all seriousness, let me now what you'd like to hear or see and I'll consider it. Popular approval doesn't always sway me but having fans or listeners get their input would be just grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment